THIS SITE HAS MOVED!

As of 9/18/15, this site has moved to www.jillygagnon.com

You can still read my blog posts here (you can also read them on the new site!), but visit www.jillygagnon.com for current information on everything else!

Monday, June 16, 2014

Grown-Up Reactions to Kid Lit: Eleanor & Park

Jilly:  So can I just say up front, I'm always pre-skeptical of books that are set in the recentish (read: around when the author was probably a teen) past for no particular reason.

MK:  Ha. That's probably fair. It's hard to view recent history as appropriate for historical fiction.

Jilly:  I mean, so the author knows which bands would have made Park appropriately "cool" for 1986 Omaha. That's not enough of a reason to choose that historical moment

MK:  Okay, but I do think putting your characters in a mixtape era makes sense. It's hard to get that kind of visceral pull in a contemporary setting. "Here, I made you this spotify playlist."



Jilly:  Agreed. And it would be hard for her to get the same level of cut-offness for Eleanor. The concept of having no phone line--period--is just difficult to conceive of for any socio-economic level, these days

MK:  Yes. It's a fantastic marker for her poverty level. Although I wonder how well that works for an actual teen reader. The idea of not having a Walkman as a socio-economic indicator.

Jilly:  Well right, that's the thing that always knee-jerks me on recent-past books; the hallmarks you use may work for a crossover adult audience--the visceral feel of a mixtape you mentioned, the poverty level, the Smiths being cool--but they don't resonate for modern teens precisely because it's nothing they've ever experienced. I BARELY experienced that, and I'm an '84 baby. A 2000 baby is so far past it that it may as well be 1940s Russia, or 1804 Jane Austen

MK:  I think teen readers overlook those, though. The emotional pull works even if you're glossing over the references that don't really work for you.

Jilly:  Well she does totally nail the feeling of falling for someone. There's hardly even a plot, but I couldn't stop reading, and I think it's 100% because her descriptions of what it feels like (as per her own promise) let us remember what it's like to be that age, and be in love. Which I think applies even if you are that age--nostalgia for experiences that might be currently available is legit, too

MK:  Absolutely. I'm ordinarily not a huge fan of alternating POV (I get confused really easily, as I did whenever she shifted within a single chapter), but I love the way she captured how anxious they both are about themselves and each other, but how little they understand the other's emotions.

Jilly:  Right, and the momentousness of it all. The sense that you can't get enough of this person and it's almost physical: the desire to EAT Park; the embarrassment at being with Eleanor, but simultaneous inability to stop touching her hair; the sense of having no control over your experience because of this other person.

MK:  And the experience that suddenly your body isn't even your own because you never had someone touch you before. I think Park's viewpoint is really strong in that regard--he's just consumed by these relatively innocent touches and can't even handle thinking about going further.

Jilly:  Which I think is a good counterpoint--not that teens should think sex is taboo, but the idea that all boys always want only sex, that they CAN'T be embarrassed or nervous or unsure about it, seems negative to me

MK:  YES. It is very very rare to get a male POV with a budding relationship that isn't all about being horny.

Jilly:  But do we think boys would ever read this book? You would know more about this, as a librarian who actually ENCOUNTERS teen boys. I mostly avoid them on buses and sidewalks.

MK:  I think the cover would detract a lot of boys. I think there are absolutely boys who would read it on recommendation, but it reads as a little girly.

Jilly: And the write-up is all about romance, which just vibes "girl" at any age.

MK:  Which is really too bad, because I think there are a lot of other ways to sell the story.

Jilly:  Right. The cultural disconnect, and feeling of outsiderness that both characters have is definitely something I could see having cross-gender appeal to a sensitive, Park-esque boy, at least.

MK:  The music, too.



Jilly:  Totally. Okay, so here's my elephant in the room: do we buy that a teenager as seemingly cynical as Eleanor  would believe she's in love? I may have been the only teenager ever with this particular brand of precocity, but I definitely remember feeling--AT THE TIME--that teenagers weren't REALLY in love, and that it was kind of idiotic to call things that.

MK:  Oh I don't think she believes that at all.

Jilly: But don't we think the three-word postcard at the end had to be "I love you?"

MK:  See, I don't love that ending. Because I totally buy her thinking they're doomed from the start.

Jilly:  I didn’t either! It felt like a cop-out to me. Like a concession, rather than what she really felt would happen

MK:  That's a really apt way to put it. Writing the postcard feels like her giving in.

Jilly:  Both the author AND Eleanor

MK:  Yes!

Jilly:  I have to Giver this one (which is my way of saying ask about the after-the-end): do you think they get back together?

MK:  (My mom loves to Giver.) I think the ending implies that they do, which is super unfair.

Jilly:  It seems like kind of a cowardly ending.

MK:  I really think it's a disservice to the rest of the book, which gives a lot of room for things to be uncomfortable and unsettled.

Jilly:  And it closes off a much more realistic experience, to my mind: you will love someone first, and you will probably lose them. Not losing them in a way stiffs the characters. Do they not grow or move on? It amber-seals them. I feel like that's what first love did for me: it may or may not have been real, but it taught me about ME.

MK:  Yeah. I think the rest of the book does a really good job at showing you that "love" doesn't fix the rest of your life, it just provides a little cocoon from it for a while.

Jilly:  And it shows that even in still-loving relationships--like Park's parents'--love isn't that intense for long. They kiss every day, but it's as much habit as passion, I feel like.

MK:  Good point.

Jilly:  Overall, though, I loved it. She flubbed the landing a bit, but it was a really touching book.


MK:  Agreed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment