THIS SITE HAS MOVED!

As of 9/18/15, this site has moved to www.jillygagnon.com

You can still read my blog posts here (you can also read them on the new site!), but visit www.jillygagnon.com for current information on everything else!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Grown-Up Reactions to Kid Lit: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson)

My friend MK is a high-school librarian, so both of us read a pretty remarkable amount of kid lit. In this maybe-semi-regular-feature, we discuss it!


Jilly: First thoughts on this one?

MK:  Well, one of my first thoughts for this one is that we have the opposite problem with our narrator, who reads as older than 12 to me for most of the book.

Jilly:  Totally agreed. I'd put Percy at about 14

MK:  Yup. Especially since they make such a big deal of his dyslexia/problems in school early on (which I realize are later explained by his brain being wired for ancient Greek or whatever)—his vocabulary is awfully expansive.

Jilly:  I mean, with boys developing more slowly, generally speaking, he could have been 15, with his vocab, his punning, his proto-sex-drive. I feel like he and Annabeth were being set up as eventual love interests (in the series) and their awareness of all that felt older than 12

MK:  Actually that was the part the felt the most authentic to me-he teases her for having a crush on Luke, but I don't think there's sexual tension between the two of them at all.

Jilly:  I don't think they have sexual tension yet; I think they're being set up to develop it later.

MK:  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I just think he's completely unaware of it, in the way that tweens can still be friends-ish with the opposite sex.

Jilly:  That's fair. You don’t think her crush on Luke felt more 14-ish? I felt like Annabeth's vibe was generally older, which increased my sense that Percy felt older, too. Like the anger with her dad could have been 15 for me.

MK:  Well, you said it yourself- she seems older because she's a girl. I think their relative maturity levels make sense.

Jilly:  I think they do, but she felt older to me AS a girl. Anyway, we can agree that the kids these days, they grow up so fast.

MK:  Hahahaha. Yes.

Jilly:  What did you think of the characterization of the myths and the gods etc.?

MK:  I liked it, but I also got this sense of "This will go PERFECTLY with our unit on mythology!"

Jilly: Percy's recall of all the myths sometimes felt a bit forced

MK:  YES. Especially from someone who is flunking tests on the subject!

Jilly:  I can't imagine ANY 6th grade class going into that much depth with mythology, either. That level of memorization is high school or older to my mind

MK:  I also found the "misunderstood troublemaker finally finds his place" narrative not overly believable, because the place turned out to be "among super intelligent nerds."

Jilly:  Yeah. The ways that he made trouble honestly felt more like the accident-prone kid than anything
I think part of that was Riordan playing to his audience of, presumably, 10-year-olds

MK:  Yes.

Jilly:  Like "HAHAHA HE DID WHAT???" But if that kid were in a classroom, I think most teachers' response would be exasperation, but they'd try to work with him. They'd also understand that a kid with dyslexia would need a different class load -- I mean, he was clearly attending private Manhattan schools. I find it hard to believe that his dyslexia would be allowed to totally dive-bomb his education at places like that.

MK:  Well right. They don't get any money if they kick him out.

Jilly:  All of this is definitely adult quibbling though; I doubt many 10-year-olds would be bothered by any of it, and it doesn't significantly impact the book, it's just some of what I see as a string of "convenient short-cuts" the author makes. Like a trope of YA is that authors want to get their kids not to have to deal with modern technology, because it's too awkward for them to manage.

MK:  Well, it also dates your books more quickly.

Jilly:  True. Anyway, Riordan had a good enough reason for that work around, but I feel like a lot of his explanations for those things--the "I just need to get the kid to place X or to not have thing Y around"--were a bit "convenient." Sorta like "meuh, good enough, let's get back to the underworld."

MK That's fair. I felt like he was doing The Odyssey for 12 year olds, but only some of the time.

Jilly:  Do we think the book will get kids into mythology in general? I feel like it could - it does make the myths feel human

MK:  I feel like it gets kids More into mythology if they already have an introduction. I just think it's introduced as sort of intermediate level knowledge.

Jilly:  What do you mean?

MK:  Like, Percy is "remembering" a bunch of stuff from class, but some of it seems like "Oh, we all know who Zeus is."

Jilly:  Oh, that's fair. Yeah, and for gods like Hephaestus, that sort of "duh, we all know THIS guy" thing is asking a lot.



MK:  Exactly. And I think references can get readers interested in learning more, but if there's a base level of understanding you need to even Get the reference, that's either frustrating or you ignore it completely.

Jilly:  Right--you skim right past it and never find that myth, or even think to want to. Like the Aphrodite cabin is only referenced as being monstrously vain.

MK:  Yeah, we definitely get the PG version of Aphrodite and Bacchus.

Jilly:  No joke. The Diet Coke? C'mon now. All of that said, I feel like it sounds like we didn't like this book, but I thought it was pretty charming.

MK:  Hahaha. Yes, it's very readable.

Jilly:  I especially loved that Percy wasn't Zeus's kid, which is what I expected.

MK:  Okay but how annoying was it that it took pretty much the whole book for him to figure out he has power over water? JUST GET IN THE DAMN WATER.

Jilly:  RIGHT? It was like, "I made a fountain move, then I somehow made pipes spit water on my enemies, then I felt immediately healed in water, and yet no one, truly no one, can determine who my god-dad-or-mom is."

MK:  "Weird, I get this strange feeling every time I'm near water...  must be a coincidence."

Jilly:  I guess I chalked that up to the author wanting to give his readers a mini-mystery they could definitely solve. Like the sense that they got it, YESSSSS! CALLED THAT ONE BRO!

MK:  Now I'm imagining a bunch of 10-year-olds reading it at the same time and being super smug. "Oh, you haven't figured out who his dad is yet?"

Jilly:  I mean...I would've been that 10-year-old. ATHENA CABIN TILL I DIE!

MK:  Hahahaha. By the way, knowing that there are a bunch of half-bloods running around, they sure give those assholes a lot of leeway for capture the flag.


Jilly:  no joke. That summer camp is a liability NIGHTMARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment