THIS SITE HAS MOVED!

As of 9/18/15, this site has moved to www.jillygagnon.com

You can still read my blog posts here (you can also read them on the new site!), but visit www.jillygagnon.com for current information on everything else!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Guilty Pleasures

What, exactly, defines a literary guilty pleasure?

I know they exist, at least insofar as there are books I'm frankly embarrassed to admit I've read (no, I will NOT name names, so don't ask...publicly). But I'm not sure where the line is drawn between "fun, light read" and "guilt because I read."

 Guilt because you're reading about pleasure is another thing entirely.

Is there such a line?

I think for me personally, it starts looking pretty well-defined when I know that the book I'm reading is failing at things I value--or at least claim to value--in the things I read.

When the characters are incredibly wooden, the dialogue doesn't ring true, and the prose itself is just bad, I know I'm reading guilty. Same if I fundamentally disagree with an author's worldview (let's say the book is relying on gender normativity I usually find disgusting, say--that happens a depressing amount).

Another good gauge is whether I'd be embarrassed for a subway stranger to see the title, for any reason not yet listed.

But as much as I recognize that I personally seem to perceive this line--that I feel embarrassed of some books I have not only read, but couldn't put down--I also have trouble with the idea that anyone, anywhere, should claim that it exists.

After all, if something is a total page-turner, isn't it achieving something, literarily, even if I think it's bad writing? 

 Plot has never been my strong suit. I have, in fact, been accused of not having any plots in my books on more than one occasion (there's a reason those books didn't sell).

Isn't it just snobbery--worse, ego-driven snobbery--for me to look at a book that nails plot and pacing, but fails at character and style, and say it is automatically less-good than a book that inverts those failures and nail....ures?

Or is there something to the distinction?

I have no answers (frankly, it's straining my capacities just to form these not-that-impressive questions), but I'd love to hear what other people think.

Are there REALLY guilty pleasures? What earns them the label? And what are you embarrassed to have read?



No comments:

Post a Comment