THIS SITE HAS MOVED!

As of 9/18/15, this site has moved to www.jillygagnon.com

You can still read my blog posts here (you can also read them on the new site!), but visit www.jillygagnon.com for current information on everything else!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Telltale Laptop

It's sitting there.

I can feel it looking at me. Accusing me of the darkest misdeeds, the foulest of sins. Staring through me with its dead, soulless eyes, the light on the edge pulsing rhythmically...

ONoff.

ONoff.

ONoff.

DEAR GOD, WILL I LIVE THROUGH THE MADNESS I'VE CREATED BY CLOSING THIS LAPTOP?????




Okay, enough extremely-shitty Poe-stiche; in real life, I just finished a revision pass this morning. I sent it off to my awesome CP, and she's gonna give me notes, which will hopefully be relatively minor, because I want to be able to incorporate them sooner than later and send it off to other people.

In the meantime, though, is it reasonable to take a break?

If that sounds like a weird humble-brag or something it's not meant to; I'm not some writing saint who wakes up at 3 AM just so I can get in several devoted, silent hours before I make breakfast for every single person in the house, work my full-time job, and come home to a quiet evening reading only the most edifying of literatures.

Nonono.

Most days, I'm a bit guilty about how tiny the pile of dust I chip off the endlessly tall Mt. ThingsIShouldBeWriting is, and how few of my waking hours it occupies.

Okay, not just a bit guilty, really guilty, partly because I'm Midwestern (we thrive on guitl), and partly because we all have some romantic notion of locked garrets and powerful, days-long bursts of genius uninterrupted by the need to eat, or sleep, or pee, or totally zone out to shit reality TV for a while because GOD MY BRAIN HURTS.

I'm sure that's some people's actual style.

Tell them that I hate them. I would do it myself, but the Housewives are on tonight so, you know, busy.

But all that said, I do try to stick to a routine of daily writing. And I could try to sub out the just-revised MS for the still-not-a-complete-draft MS (which I did in reverse when I got the notes back that prompted this latest round of revisions).

But first, is it okay to just take a few days off? Like, start my writing-Thanksgiving-break tomorrow morning?

If I don't hear from any of you guys, I'm gonna assume that's a resounding yes...

No comments:

Post a Comment