THIS SITE HAS MOVED!

As of 9/18/15, this site has moved to www.jillygagnon.com

You can still read my blog posts here (you can also read them on the new site!), but visit www.jillygagnon.com for current information on everything else!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

What Kind of Editor are You?

Partially because I'm hoping to some day soon be working with a professional, I-work-at-a-publishing-house, this-is-my-day-job editor--and even more because I've been forced to deal with I-know-better, how-about-I-just-rewrite-your-work, emphatically non-professional editors at my current day job--the idea has been rolling around my brain lately: what kind of editor am I? What kind do I need?



As far as my personal editing style, I think I'm best at the small picture. A sentence that's not working right I can spot--and fix--in a blink. Paragraph and even chapter level problems are easy-peasy (is it too long? too short? not following? I know the answer).

What's harder, and what I've been trying to train myself to do better, is seeing the forest for the trees.


I'll catch most of the grammar mistakes, but if I'm pulled along by a writing style, I may fail to pick up on plot holes (or the lack of anything really resembling a plot). I can recognize major problems afterwards sometimes, and if it's pointed out to me, I can find the instances where things went off the rails in that specific way, but I have a harder time saying "somewhere around the 1/3 mark, this part of your story drifted sideways, and this is how you can fix it."



In fact, that's the biggest issue: I'm not even totally terrible at seeing the big-picture stuff, but it's not as easy for me to repair.

I've been working on this, both with my writing and with friends' (I like to think a recent critique of a friend's in-progress novel featured quite a few well-spotted "big picture" issues, and even a couple potential fixes for them, because I like to think highly of myself if possible). But it's never been as easy for me as pinpointing the word that isn't working right, or the sentence that feels like a non sequitur.

The kind of editor I really need will be much, much better with big pictures than I am. Especially on the and-here's-how-we-troubleshoot-that front.

It's also informative to realize the kind of editor you DON'T want to be. For me, especially lately, the answer to that is: the one who has to change something just to prove she was there. It's one thing to point out that logically, X couldn't happen in the way the writer is describing, or that Y is factually untrue. It's another to switch the phrasing out for your preferred style.

Phew. Now I KNOW you know what you're doing.


Because even if you think your preferred style is better, it's not, specifically because it's yours...not the author's.

For my books, I'm hope-hope-hoping to find someone who's good enough to know when and how to help...and when to leave well enough alone.

I'm hoping to find that in other portions of my life too, of course...I'm just not planning on it ;)

4 comments:

  1. The worst editor is the person who offers random criticisms based on their own neurosis....I recently received negative feedback in a workshop (not Yale) from a girl who hates NYC and didn't like that that I was writing about it, basically....???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, yes, the worst! Also, that person must have a really hard time reading/watching movies/learning the news...

      Delete
  2. When I started reading this article, I disagreed with you, because you helped me with a lot of big picture stuff...but then I got to the end (I assume you were referring to mine...if not, add another big picture success on your list)....glad to be part of an anomaly!

    I would consider myself a big picture person. I am definitely not, by any stretch of the imagination, detail-oriented or precise. And I have such difficulty applying my editing/reading skills to my own writing...which I guess is normal. But frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, this is why we're good critique partners! I WAS talking about your book, and felt very proud of myself for seeing a few patches of forest for you, but as you've probably noticed, I really excel at spotting spindly little one-off trees!

      None of us can edit ourselves. I think it's just one of those things we have to learn to accept, like weird smells on public transit, or metabolisms never again reaching the peak, "I can eat all the fries" teen-years levels after age 22.

      Delete